How to Preserve the Beauty and Longevity of your ectu Leather Bag
Leather is timeless, durable, feminine, eco-friendly, classic… oh - and that leather smell? Well, we never tire of it. The list of positives goes on and on. However, one feature that we often neglect to consider is that if cared for properly, leather lasts a lifetime.
For most of our clients, purchasing a leather bag is both an investment and commitment to honor and preserve the legacy of leather craftsmanship. As ectu leather bags pass from our hands to yours, that commitment to heritage persists on a continuum. If you’re a proud caretaker of such a leather heirloom piece, please know that there are steps you can take to ensure your leather items continue to serve, looking even better over time.
Leather care is simple yet makes the world of difference to your bag. It starts here.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR LEATHER BAG
You Should Know: Before your ectu leather bag reached you, we added a protective layer. Although this protective layer protects your bag, you may notice a build-up of dirt and grime depending on regular use and travel frequency.
When you start to notice the grimy build-up more than the luscious leather, it’s time for a quick cleaning with these simple steps:
- Soak a clean, soft cloth with warm water.
- Ring the cloth to remove excess water.
- Gently wipe off visible dirt; as well, wipe the entire bag to maintain continuity.
- Now, with a soft dry cloth, dab the leather dry.
- After dabbing with a dry cloth, allow your leather bag to air-dry.
Pro Tip: Artificial heat, such as a blow dryer, may damage the leather! Always air-dry your leather.
HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR LEATHER BAG SO IT LASTS A LIFETIME
Simple steps are recommended to maintain the leather splendor of your bag.
Firstly, condition your bag every few months or twice a year. To do so, simply apply leather conditioner to a soft cloth. Using a circular motion, work the conditioner into the leather. Again, always air-dry your bag, never dry using artificial heat.
Pro Tip: Test the conditioner first by applying it to an unnoticeable spot to ensure compatibility.
HOW TO PROPERLY STORE YOUR LEATHER BAG
The last thing you want is for your leather bag to be stowed away only to reappear in a misshapen, distorted heap. Remember, leather is a product of nature; as such it is malleable and can easily take the shape and form of whatever storage vessel it occupies.
Don’t fret, we have several enlightening tips to ensure your leather bag is stored properly for lasting beauty.
- Maintain the silhouette: Stuff your bag with tissue or plastic to retain its shape.
- Avoid sunlight: Leather is susceptible to fading if exposed to the sun for long periods. Therefore, store your leather bag in a dark place.
- Avoid artificial heat: We’ve said this before, and it needs to be said again. Avoid artificial heat. Keep your leather items stored away from a furnace or heat source as heat may dry out and crack your leather bag.
- Cover your bag: Exposure to moisture for long periods may render your leather bag to a moldy mess. When storing your leather bag, keep it in the original dust bag. If you no longer have the dust bag, a simple white cotton pillowcase will be sufficient. Leather needs to breathe, so avoid plastic bags.
Pro Tip: If storing your bag in fabric, be sure to use white fabric only to avoid color transfer.
LEATHER IS NATURAL AND DESIGNED TO LAST DECADES
As a natural product, leather bags can last a lifetime. Many of our clients keep their bags looking wonderful to be passed down to their loved ones. Taking these simple steps will ensure you enjoy your bag’s aesthetic beauty and durable functionality for years to come.